Fort Ticonderoga was originally built between 1755 and 1757 on the shore of Lake Champlain in New York state and was then named Fort Carillon. Built by the French during the Seven Years war (or French and Indian war), it also played a part in the American Revolution. The fort was renamed Fort Ticonderoga when the British took it over in 1759. During the American Revolutionary war, the fort was captured in 1775 by state militias under the command of Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold. Two years later, a British attack would force the Americans to abandon the fort but the British were shortly after defeated and abandoned the fort. The fort later fell into ruin and people in the area began taking away the stones and other materials away from the fort. In 1820, the fort was bought by William Ferris Pell and his descendants would eventually rebuild the fort beginning in 1909.